How to Use a Diskus® Dry Powder Inhaler
Start by taking the Diskus® out of the box and foil and writing the "Pouch opened" and "Use by" dates on the label of the inhaler. The "Use by" date is one month from date of opening.
- Never breathe out into the inhaler.
- Never try to take the inhaler apart.
- Always use the inhaler in a level, horizontal position.
- Never wash the mouthpiece or any part of the inhaler – keep it dry.
- Always store the Diskus® in a dry place.
- Open – When the inhaler is removed from the box, it will be "closed." To open it, hold the outer case in one hand and put the thumb of your other hand on the thumb grip. Push your thumb away from you as far as it will go.
- Slide – Hold the inhaler with the mouthpiece facing you. Slide the lever away from you as far as it will go until you
hear and/or feel a click. The inhaler is now ready to use.
- Inhale –
- Hold the inhaler away from your mouth. Breathe out as far as is comfortable. Never breathe into your Diskus®.
- Put the mouthpiece to your lips. Breathe in steadily and deeply – through the inhaler, not through your nose.
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth.
- Hold your breath for about ten seconds, or for as long as is comfortable.
- Breathe out slowly.
- Check the dose indicator – The dose indicator on top of the inhaler tells you how many doses are left.
- Close – To close the inhaler, put your thumb in the thumbgrip, and slide the thumbgrip back towards you, as far as it will go. When you close the inhaler, it clicks shut. The lever automatically goes back to its starting position and is reset. It is now ready to be used again.
- Store – Store your Diskus® at room temperature, 68° to 77° F,
in a dry place away from direct heat or sunlight. Keep out of reach of children. The inhaler should be thrown away one month after it is taken from the foil pouch, or after every medication blister has been used (when the dose indicator reads "0"), whichever comes first.
View a printer-friendly
version of this page.